Friday, April 16, 2010

Warm Welcome


After arriving in Sarapiqui just over one week ago, I already feel as though I´ve become part of a new family. Not only within a Tican (Costa Rican) host family, but also as a member of a family of volunteers and SCLC staff, working together to improve the local community and surrounding environment. The work completed by my fellow volunteers is outstanding; I´m already amazed at some of the projects started and executed by my motivated and dedicated peers. For example, JoAnna, the after-school program coordinator, works seemingly endlessly to provide local students with opportunities and activities that wouldn´t be possible without her consistent energy, inspiration, and hard-work. Everyday here at the center, is another opportunity to see how individuals are capable of making a positive impact within their community and, importantly, within the lives of community members.

At first glance, the town of Sarapiqui seems like just another small, rural community. However, after arriving at my host family and meeting the students and community members that the SCLC programs serve, the small town really springs to life and one can see how active and involved the town really is. On top of the weekend rafting trips, endless hiking opportunities, and trips with my host family, it really does become difficult to get bored here. On my first weekend in Sarapiqui, my host family invited me to travel to the neighboring town of San Telmos for a family wedding. I was lucky enough to meet everyone in the family (and extended family) as well as have the unique opportunity to experience the everyday life of a Costa Rican family. The feeling of community and togetherness was overwhelming, and I was able to see first-hand how special a community Sarapiqui really is.

Although I originally arrived at the Center with the intention of acting as the ESL teacher, I ended up working on various projects and programs that the SCLC offers instead. Several of these projects, aimed at eco-tourism and community development, allowed me to work within Sarapiqui on activities such as painting schools and assisting with community development projects. The student groups that the SCLC hosted worked very hard to complete the various community service and development tasks and the students really seemed to understand the positive impact they were making. Their work, as well as the organized and impressively-executed projects arranged by the SCLC, has really inspired me to become involved within future community development projects both abroad and in my own home-town back in the U.S.

With all the experiences I´ve had at the SCLC and with my host family, it´s hard to believe that I´ve only been here for little over a week. Next week, I will be returning to the U.S., but hope to return to Sarapiqui to volunteer once again in the future. I feel I have learned much about the SCLC, the Sarapiqui community, and the dedication of my fellow volunteers during my stay here and, importantly, I feel lucky enough to have helped make a difference within such a wonderful Costa Rican community.




Erin Taylor
SCLC Volunteer; April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment